Nationwide Co-Op Tax Appeal Lawyer

The No. 1 concern of housing cooperatives is often federal tax law. Several years ago, the National Association of Housing Cooperatives (NAHC) successfully argued that co-ops be taxed under Subchapter T. This means that revenue earnings are not taxable.

However, housing cooperatives must still file Form 1120 like any other corporation. They must pay real estate taxes, as well as taxes on interest earned on reserves. If you believe these taxes or others are too high, there is a solution. You can initiate an administrative and legal procedure to reduce them.

The nationwide co-op tax appeal attorneys at Pentiuk, Couvreur & Kobiljak, P.C., can help. We will perform an initial case assessment and assist you throughout the appeals process.

Steps You Can Take

There are several steps you can take — in addition to an appeal — to protect the financial stability of your corporation. When you retain our services, we can explore these options with you. Depending upon your particular situation, they may include:

  • Tax credit for energy efficiency improvements
  • An application for federal grant money
  • The treatment of reserve earnings as patronage income, which can be offset with depreciation

Another way to ensure the economic health of your cooperative is to use your voting power. Become a force in the local and state political arena by inviting elected officials and candidates to speak to your membership. Encourage your members to vote at election time (but do not support specific candidates). 

Speak With Our Dedicated Property Tax Appeal Attorneys

Our lawyers deliver proven results in an efficient manner. To learn more about how our tax knowledge can benefit you and help lower your payments to the IRS, contact Pentiuk, Couvreur & Kobiljak, P.C. We serve clients nationwide from convenient office locations in Chicago and Detroit.