Matthew T. Nicols is an associate attorney at Pentiuk, Couvreur & Kobiljak, P.C. His practice focuses on litigation and appeals in the firm’s Real Estate, Cooperative Housing Law, Condominium Law, Business Law and Municipal Law practice areas. Matthew has significant experience in handling civil litigation trials in state court proceedings, ranging from contract disputes to premises liability matters and real estate disputes. Matthew also negotiates resolutions in both complex and traditional real estate matters. In addition to his litigation practice, Matthew also represents clients in state and federal appellate courts and in bankruptcy proceedings to protect creditor rights.
As part of his devotion to addressing our clients’ legal issues in real estate matters, Matthew also represents our Cooperative and Condominium clients with corporate governance, including the drafting, revising and amending corporate governing documents for cooperative and condominium associations. This includes providing opinions, updates and revisions to Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Rules & Regulations, and Policies & Procedures, so that our clients function and stay current with changes in the law. Matthew’s experience with complex federal governmental housing programs provides our clients with the understanding and ability to negotiate and navigate through detailed federal regulatory schemes and requirements with the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”), and State counter-parts such as the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (“MSHDA”).
Matthew is a regular contributor of legal articles for the Midwest Association of Housing Cooperatives (MAHC) MAHC Messenger and the National Association of Housing Cooperatives (NAHC). Matt also contributes legal articles to the firm’s own National Cooperative Law Center.
Outside of his legal practice, Matthew enjoys spending time with his wife, daughter and their pet dogs. Matthew also enjoys playing recreational ice hockey, guitar, piano, and exploring the culinary arts.
Primary Practice Areas
- Real Estate Law
- Cooperative Housing Law
- Condominium Law
- Trial and Appellate Advocacy
- Business Law
- Municipal Law
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- Honors: Book Award for Excellence in the Mortgage Foreclosure Defense Clinic
- Arizona State University, Tempe , Arizona
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: Justice Studies
- Minor: Music
- Michigan, 2014
- Illinois, 2018
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2014
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Downriver Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys (MAMA)
- Michigan "Super Lawyer" Rising Star - An honor given to fewer than five percent of the states' most respected attorneys.