Organizers, Board members, and staff of nonprofit organizations in Michigan and Illinois take on significant responsibilities. That also means that they assume serious legal liabilities.
If you are establishing a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization or sit on the board of directors, make sure you have experienced legal counsel guiding you through the process. Talk to an attorney at Pentiuk, Couvreur & Kobiljak, P.C., about ways we can protect your rights and interests through under the law.
Our lawyers advise and represent nonprofit organizations throughout Michigan and the Greater Chicago metropolitan area.
Our nonprofit clients include:
- Churches, ministries, and religious institutions
- Service organizations
- Community foundations
- State-chartered credit unions
- Housing associations
Our services include:
- Forming and maintaining corporate entities to provide a corporate shield against liability claims and to take advantage of favorable tax laws. In this regard, we counsel clients on the proper selection of membership or directorship basis, and draft the articles of incorporation, bylaws, and other governing documents. We assist with the proper drafting of corporate minutes and preparation, and other documents to maintain and preserve the corporate structure against dissolution or attack by creditors.
- Securing the proper approvals from the state and federal authorities for tax benefits to donors and for fund raising. We help our clients through the complexities of the Internal Revenue Code to select and obtain income tax exemptions under section 501(c)(3) or related exemptions. We also provide guidance on securing approvals from the Charitable Trust and Solicitation Division of the Michigan Attorney General's office.
- Obtaining property tax exemption under Michigan property tax laws, including handling appeals before the Michigan Tax Tribunal, negotiating with the local municipalities' assessor, and appearing before the local board of review.
- For churches, we handle internal disputes among members. This includes property and corporate control challenges, and discipline or expulsion of members. It also consists of representing clients in court.
- Where volunteers are utilized, we assist our clients in developing appropriate screening procedures to protect children and others, as well as the client, from the risk of sex offenders or other criminal predators.
- Providing counsel on risk management, insurance and related matters to protect the nonprofit from lawsuits.
- Navigating the recent amendments to the M1 Non-Profit Act, and how they affect you.
Employment — We Can Be Your Legal Counsel For Human Resources
State and federal employment laws, and wage and hour issues are frequently the most complex areas of law for nonprofit organizations to negotiate successfully.
For all nonprofit entities with employees, we provide counsel on all labor issues, including hiring, discipline and firing decisions, wage issues, and dealing with civil rights claims.
Contact Us To Learn More
We are ready to help your nonprofit's board of directors succeed. Call our office in Wyandotte at 734-407-7193 or our Chicago office at 773-435-9064, or use the email form to explain the legal matter you need help with.